#header-inner { text-align: center; width: 660px; margin: auto; } CAFÉ SALVATION: SUMMER LOVIN'

Tuesday 12 June 2012

SUMMER LOVIN'

Last night, I dreamt I went to Manderley again....Not really. Last night, I cooked a beef stew. It was absolutely delicious (it's one of those fail-safe recipes that I turn to time and time again). No, the flavour wasn't the problem. The problem was the fact that the last time I cooked it, was on a very cold, wet February afternoon. And as we looked out of our windows at the grey, thunderous clouds overhead, I just couldn't get my head around the fact that it's JUNE. And then my phone beeped, and a long-awaited text from my fishmonger lifted my spirits in an instant:

'Samphire's in'.

Oh, Joy of Joys!! Samphire has to be my favourite seasonal veg. It's the one that I hanker after from mid-May onwards. Don't get me wrong - raised in the Vale of Evesham a love of Asparagus is in my blood, but there is something so very special about Samphire. The tenderness of the young stems, the vibrancy of a summer green and that smell, that smell!! As Max gave me the tray to examine, it was like being stood on the coastline, seaspray splashing my face. So guess what's coming on to the menu this week, peeps?!



With the arrival of Samphire, we're implememnting our next seasonal menu change. My favourite sea-asparagus will be joining smoked mackerel and creamy horseradish dressing on a sourdough bruschetta. Another newbie on the bruschetta menu is our oak roasted salmon with crushed broad beans, peas and mint, drizzled with a watercress mayonnaise. Yum!!



One of last year's favourite's - Fennel Crumble - is making a welcome return, and this year we're using gluten-free flour, so as not to exclude anyone from its utter loveliness. And we've developed a new Turkey Pattie - flatter, thinner and larger than our meatballs, made with spices, fresh mint and coriander. Delicious in our cones or as part of a salad plate.

Our lovely Laura had something of an epiphany last week, when she married the lemon and garlic chicken with our grilled halloumi and popped it in to one of our cones. It is currently my favourite lunch, and I highly recommend it to our take-away customers who might fancy a bit of a change...

We are becoming more and more aware of special dietary requirements and are therefore trying to adapt our menu to enable us to serve everyone (we believe that good food is there to be enjoyed by all!). We are vigilantly examining the products that we use, and where possible, we will always try and adapt a recipe to suit as many folk as possible, as long as the taste is not jeopardised as a result. We are currently awaiting some sample gluten-free falafels, and the lovely lady at the Bran Tub, Malvern, is keeping an eye out for corn/gluten-free tortillas. We love to hear about new products so do get in touch if you can make any recommendations.

All of this yummy new food on our menu should be reason enough to pay us a visit, but for the creatively-inclined amongst you, don't forget that we are being joined by Kathleen of Murgatroyd and Bean this Friday, with her 'Felt Menagerie' hand embroidery workshop. Get in touch if you'd like us to reserve your place.

No comments:

Post a Comment